Employment at IceCube

Positions will remain posted beyond their respective consideration dates until an offer has been made and accepted.

Winterover Positions

These positions serve as the IceCube “winterovers,” and successful candidates will be deployed to the South Pole for 12-13 months. Training for two candidates typically begins in Madison, WI, in July prior to deployment to the South Pole, which is generally scheduled for early October. Deployments are for 12-13 months with no possibility of leaving during the winter months from mid-February to mid-October. No active position listings at this time.


None at this time.


Instrumentation Engineer
The instrumentation engineer is a technical position at the Wisconsin IceCube Particle Astrophysics Center (WIPAC) that will involve work with the Radio Neutrino Observatory-Greenland (RNO-G) and the IceCube Upgrade teams. Work will include design development and feasibility studies for drill heads and developing procedures for sensor installation and monitoring. Field work in Greenland and Antarctica is also anticipated. Qualified candidates will have experience with mechanical and electrical equipment used in a physics or engineering research laboratory setting. More information and application instructions can be found following this link. Apply by October 13, 2023. 


None at this time.


None at this time.

IceCube Collaboration Employment Opportunities

Please check our collaborating institutions for additional opportunities.


UW–Madison, US: None at this time.


UW–Madison, US: For general inquires about postdoc positions, please contact postdoc@icecube.wisc.edu. Note: postdoc applicants should have a PhD awarded within past three years (maximum allowable is five years).

Graduate Students

UW–Madison, US: Current physics graduate students can contact a faculty member to find out about current openings. Prospective graduate students can find information about applying to UW–Madison at the Department of Physics Graduate Students Admissions Information website. Please check our Collaborating Institutions departmental webpages for information about their graduate programs.

Undergraduate Students

UW–Madison, US: Undergraduate students at UW–Madison can contact a faculty member for information about current openings. Non-UW–Madison undergraduate students can participate in Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at UW–Madison.