- Drills 60 cm diameter to max depth of ∼60 meters
- Closed-loop glycol circuit, heated in storage tank by six 3-phase electric heaters, ∼8 kW each
- Each heater has its own thermostat
- Drill head ("carrot") transfers heat via copper tube to melt firn, and is supported and lowered by a spiral (single wrap) hose reel
- Circuit consists of holding tank with overflow/fill tank, catch basin, charge pump, bag filter, primary pump, bypass manifold, 2-way hydraulic union, self-supporting hose (supply and return), carrot>
- Circuit nominally operates at 12 GPM, 100 psig, 70°C supply tank temp
- Instrumentation includes flow sensor, differential pressure across hose and carrot, tank temperature, return temperature, load cell on upper sheave, load cell directly above carrot
- Variable frequency hose reel drive with pendant, hydraulic disk brake, and emergency stop
- Requires external, independent generator unit to supply power. Service on IFD is two 100 amp, 480 VAC 3-phase disconnects in parallel. Works great with the CRREL generator at South Pole, which is rated at 165 kW at altitude.
- IFD can be towed with CAT 287
- Approx. weight 13,500 lb.