Appointments at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Hilldale and Gregory Breit Distinguished Professor
- Director of the Institute for Elementary Particle Physics Research
Publications (selected from more than 700)
- Testing QCD in the Hadroproduction of Real and Virtual Photons (with D. Scott), Phys. Rev. Lett. 40, 1117 (1978).
- Soft Hard Scattering in the TeV Range (with T. Gaisser), Phys. Rev. Lett. 54 1754 (1985).
- High Energy Neutrino Detection in Deep Polar Ice (with J.G. Learned), Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Very High Energy Cosmic Ray Interactions, Lodz, Poland (1988).
- Observation of Muons Using the Polar Ice Cap as a Cerenkov Detector (with D.M. Lowder, T. Miller, R. Morse, P.B. Price and A. Westphal), Nature 353, 331 (1991).
- Delta r Beyond One Loop (with B. Kniehl), Nucl. Phys. B 353 567 (1991).
- Particle Astrophysics with High Energy Neutrinos (with T.K. Gaisser and T. Stanev), Physics Reports 258, 173 (1995).
- Ultratransparent Antarctic Ice as a Supernova Detector (with J. Jacobsen and E. Zas), Phys. Rev. D 53, 7359 (1996).
- Tau Neutrino Appearance with a 1000 Megaparsec Baseline (with D. Saltzberg), Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 4305 (1998).
- Observation of High Energy Neutrinos with AMANDA (with the AMANDA collaboration), Nature 410, 441 (2001).
- An Absence of Neutrinos Associated with Cosmic Acceleration in Gamma Ray Bursts (with the IceCube collaboration), Nature 484, 351 (2012).
- Search for dark matter annihilations in the Sun with the 79-string IceCube detector (with the IceCube collaboration), Phys.Rev.Lett. 110,131302 (2013).
- First observation of PeV-energy neutrinos with IceCube (with the IceCube Collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 021103 (2013).
- Evidence for high-energy extraterrestrial neutrinos at the IceCube Detector (IceCube collaboration, Science 342 6161 1242856 (2013).
- 2015 European Physical Society Prize for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology (2015).
- International Franqui Professor, VUB-ULB-UGent-UMons-UA-ULg-KULeuven, Belgium (2014).
- Smithsonian American Ingenuity Award for Physical Sciences (2014).
- Doctor Honoris Causa,Ghent University, Belgium (2013).
- Physics World Breakthrough of the Year Award for making the first observation of cosmic neutrinos (2013).
- APS Highlights of the Year (2013).
- 2013 University of Wisconsin Hilldale Award (2013).
- Affiliated Distinguished Professor, Technical University Munich, Germany (2012).
- Intʼl Helmholtz Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany (2006).
- Halzen mesa, Antarctica (latitude -77.39, longitude 161.44) (2005).
- Doctor of Philosophy Honoris Causa, Uppsala University, Sweden (2005).
- "Best American Science Writing 2000" for the essay Antarctic Dreams, published in The Sciences, New York Academy of Sciences (1999).
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (1996).
- IceCube Principal Investigator
- Service on advisory committees, including those for the SNO and Telescope Array and the Auger-Upgrade experiments, the Max Planck Institutes in Heidelberg and Munich and the ICRR of the University of Tokyo, the US Particle Physics Prioritization Panel, and the ApPEC particle astrophysics advisory panel in Europe.