Appointments at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Hilldale and Gregory Breit Distinguished Professor
- Director of the Institute for Elementary Particle Physics Research
- Interim Director of the Wisconsin IceCube Particle Astrophysics Center
Publications (selected from more than 500)
- High Transverse Momentum Secondaries and Rising Total Cross Sections in Cosmic Ray Interactions (with D. Cline), Phys. Rev. Lett. 31, 491 (1973).
- Testing QCD in the Hadroproduction of Real and Virtual Photons (with D. Scott), Phys. Rev. Lett. 40, 1117 (1978)
- Limits to the Number of Neutrinos (with K. Mursula), Phys. Rev. Lett. 51 857 (1983).
- Soft Hard Scattering in the TeV Range (with T. Gaisser), Phys. Rev. Lett. 54 1754 (1985).
- High Energy Neutrino Detection in Deep Polar Ice (with J.G. Learned), Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Very High Energy Cosmic Ray Interactions, Lodz, Poland (1988).
- Observation of Muons Using the Polar Ice Cap as a Cerenkov Detector (with D.M. Lowder, T. Miller, R. Morse, P.B. Price and A. Westphal), Nature 353, 331 (1991).
- Delta r Beyond One Loop (with B. Kniehl), Nucl. Phys. B 353 567 (1991)
- Optical Properties of South Pole Ice at Depths Between 0.8 km and 1 km (with P. Askebjer et al.), Science 267, 1147 (1995).
- Particle Astrophysics with High Energy Neutrinos (with T.K. Gaisser and T. Stanev), Physics Reports 258, 173 (1995).
- Ultratransparent Antarctic Ice as a Supernova Detector (with J. Jacobsen and E. Zas), Phys. Rev. D 53, 7359 (1996).
- Tau Neutrino Appearance with a 1000 Megaparsec Baseline (with D. Saltzberg), Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 4305 (1998).
- Observation of High Energy Neutrinos with AMANDA (with the AMANDA collaboration), Nature 410, 441 (2001).
- Physics Reach of High-Energy and High-Statistics IceCube Atmospheric Neutrino Data (with Gonzalez-Garcia,M. C. and Matltoni, M., Phys.Rev. D 71 093010 (2005).
- Identifying Galactic PeVatrons with Neutrinos. M.C. Gonzalez-Garcia, Francis Halzen, Soumya Mohapatra, Astropart.Phys.31:437-444, 2009.
- Observation of Anisotropy in the Arrival Directions of Galactic Cosmic Rays at Multiple Angular Scales with IceCube (with the IceCube collaboration), Astrophys. J. 740, 16 (2011).
- An Absence of Neutrinos Associated with Cosmic Acceleration in Gamma Ray Bursts (with the IceCube collaboration), Nature 484, 351 (2012).
- Search for dark matter annihilations in the Sun with the 79-string IceCube detector (with the IceCube collaboration), Phys.Rev.Lett. 110,131302 (2013).
- First observation of PeV-energy neutrinos with IceCube (with the IceCube Collaboration), submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett., arXiv:1304.5356 [astro-ph.HE] (2013).
- Hilldale Award 2013, University of Wisconsin.
- Affiliated Distinguished Professor, Technical University Munich, Germany (2011).
- 2006 International Helmholtz Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
- Doctor of Philosophy Honoris Causa, Uppsala University, Sweden (2005)
- "Best American Science Writing 2000" for the essay Antarctic Dreams, published in The Sciences, New York Academy of Sciences (1999).
- IceCube Principal Investigator
- Service on advisory committees, including those for the SNO and Telescope Array experiments and the Max Planck Institutes in Heidelberg and Munich.
- Physics in the Arts: a hands-on laboratory course for non-science majors covering acoustics and musical instruments, optics and color.
- Numerous lectures reaching scientists, students and the general public.
- Author of several articles for popular science magazines in the US and Europe.